My husband and I have been together since 2011. Around the time when we got married in 2013, we had THE TALK and decided to “casually” start trying to get pregnant.
My story doesn’t quickly end with a happily ever after. In fact, it took quite a few detours with various twists and turns thrown in for good measure! The good news is that it DOES eventually end with a happily ever after when we welcomed our son to our little family a few years later.
The most important thing
The most important thing is that I want you to know is that once you and your partner are having that big discussion, NOW is the time to get started to optimise your health and fertility.
While the decisions and planning are still up in the air, NOW is the time because:
- It takes 90-100 days for our bodies to grow and nurture a follicle that can become THE egg that becomes fertilised and become your little bundle of joy!
- Your diet/nutrition and lifestyle can heavily impact the quality of your follicles, which can impact your ability to get pregnant
- There are specific nutrients above and beyond simply folic acid that you should start to incorporate into your daily habits now
Your Menstrual Cycle
I speak to every one of my female patients about their period. And I’ve come to realise that our education system has FAILED girls and women everywhere because the majority of my patients don’t know or remember how to figure out their periods and menstrual cycles.
Once you learn how to track your periods and all of the signs to look out when it comes to ovulation AND the different phases of your cycle, it’s a GAME CHANGER.
We as women can use our fluctuating monthly cycles to our advantage. It truly is our SUPER POWER. And it’s one of the best kept secrets around!
Your Egg Quality
Did you know?
- While you are a fetus growing in your mother’s uterus, you had about 6-7 million follicles (aka potential eggs).
- By the time you’re born, you have about 1 million follicles.
- When you hit puberty, you have about 300,000 follicles.
- By the time you’re 30 years old, you have about 100,000 to 150,000 follicles.
- And when you’re 35 years old, you have about 80,000 follicles left.
This means that enhancing the QUALITY of your follicles is the KEY to optimising your fertility and increases your chances of conceiving.
And THIS is where I can help you by creating a customised treatment plan for you that can include a combination of dietary/nutritional recommendations, lifestyle modifications, important supplements and acupuncture.
Sperm Quality Matters Too!
The other 50% of the equation when it comes conceiving is the sperm.
As men age, the quality of their sperm declines. Although older men (40+) can continue to produce millions of new sperm on a daily basis, they have fewer HEALTHY sperm when compared to younger men. This means that their chances of fathering a child becomes less with age.
However, as you can guess, naturopathic medicine can step in to optimise sperm health as well. This would also involve a customised treatment plan that can include a combination of dietary/nutritional recommendations, lifestyle modifications, important supplements and acupuncture.
How I Can Help
If you’re anything like my patients, you fall into one of the following two categories:
- Let’s just see what happens
- I’m going to do ALLLLL of the research in order to make this happen ASAP
I’m here for you no matter which category you fall into.
If you’ve done ANY sort of Googling at all, you’re going to notice that there were millions of sites telling you anything and everything that you can do when it comes to getting pregnant. Please know that you don’t have to do it all and that most of it just isn’t applicable to your specific situation.
My job is to educate you on everything that you can do to optimise your chances of conceiving naturally by learning about your entire health history and using evidence-based naturopathic options to create a CUSTOMISED plan just for you.
My goal is to help you navigate through the mountain of the information, pinpoint exactly what is most beneficial to your specific situation and support you every step of the way from a naturopathic standpoint.