Ever since I was back in school at CCNM, I have always loved working with couples who were trying to get pregnant, and acupuncture was always a big part of my approach to helping these couples. This is why I wanted to share an article that I found that supports the use of acupuncture during IVF treatments. You can find the article here.
What I really liked about this article is that it summarizes the Eastern and Western reasons for why acupuncture may be beneficial for infertility.
- Restores the flow of Qi
- Key meridians are linked to reproductive organs
- The movement of the flow of Qi in a direction that encourages fertility
- There is a clear link between acupuncture and the increase in the production of endorphins, a natural “feel good” brain chemical/hormone that plays a role in regulating the menstrual cycle
- Acupuncture has a neuroendocrine effect, influencing the areas of the brain involved in hormone production (hypothalamus and pituitary glands) and the ovaries
- Acupuncture may directly impact the number of egg follicles available for fertilization in women undergoing IVF
- Acupuncture increases the blood flow to the ovaries and the uterine lining
The Take-Away Messages
I also liked the tips that they gave at the end of the article, and I agree.
- Find a regulated healthcare provider who offers acupuncture but make sure that he/she has a lot of training in acupuncture, instead of just a few hours or a weekend course
- Look for an acupuncturist who is associated with a major medical centre
- Make sure that there is open communication between your medical doctor and your healthcare provider giving you acupuncture
- See a fertility specialist
- Be extremely cautious about taking any herbs
- If you are simultaneously doing IVF and getting acupuncture, get a pregnancy test and verify it with your obstetrician once you reach the implantation stage because your acupuncturist needs to know if you are pregnant or not. Some of the acupuncture points used to stimulate the uterus and increase fertility may also have adverse effects, so it is imperative that your acupuncturist knows whether or not you are pregnant.
If you’d like to sit down with me to discuss how I can help you optimize your fertility, CONTACT ME HERE to set up a complimentary 15 min discovery call/meeting to get you started.
What’s a discovery call/meeting? It’s where we get to know each other better to ensure that I’m the right practitioner for you and that you have the opportunity to ask your questions about Naturopathic Medicine before we move forward with an initial Naturopathic consultation.
Here are a few more posts on fertility that you might also be interested in:
- Fertility: How Naturopathic Medicine Can Help
- The Effect of Obesity on Fertility
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- CoQ10 & Fertility: What’s all the fuss about?
- Fertility Plan During COVID-19
If you’re interested in reading more about my personal struggles with my own fertility journey, here are the links:
- My CRAZY IUI Story
- My IVF Story: Part 1
- My Surgery Surprise
- My IVF Story: Part 2
- TW: My Big News!
- My Fertility Journey on Facebook for #CIAW2020
- My Fertility Journey on Instagram for #CIAW2020
#drmoirakwokND #1in6 #fertility #infertilityjourney #infertilitysucks #infertilitysupport #infertilitytribe #infertilitywarrior #infertilitysuccess #ttc #ttcjourney #ttcsupport #ttctribe #IUI #IVF #IVFwarrior #IVFjourney #IVFsisters #unexplainedinfertility #youarenotalone