Breast Cancer and Weight Lifting
Lymphedema is the swelling of one arm or leg due to the blockage of lymphatic drainage, resulting in the build up of lymph fluid.
Symptoms of Lymphedema:
- Swelling of part of the arm/leg or the entire arm/leg including fingers/toes
- Feeling of heaviness/tightness
- Restricted range of motion
- Aching or discomfort
- Recurring infections
- Hardening & thickening of the skin
Causes of lymphedema:
- Surgery − particularly when the lymph nodes or lymph vessels have been removed
- Radiation treatment − may cause scarring and inflammation of the lymph nodes or lymph vessels, resulting in the restriction of the flow of lymph fluid.
- Cancer − may block lymphatic vessels and obstruct the flow of lymph fluid.
Lymphedema commonly affects breast cancer patients and it is often recommended to the patient that she alters or limits her activity. Unfortunately, this lack of activity de-conditions the arm and increases the potential for injury, overuse and lymphedema. A recent article that I read found that slowly progressive weight lifting is safe and does not increase the risk of lymphedema, as previously thought. You can find the article here.
If you’d like to sit down with me to discuss natural recommendations to support your journey with breast cancer, CONTACT ME HERE and we can set up a complimentary 15 min discovery call/meeting.
What’s a discovery call/meeting? It’s where we get to know each other better to ensure that I’m the right practitioner for you and that you have the opportunity to ask your questions about Naturopathic Medicine before we move forward with an initial Naturopathic consultation.
Here are a few more posts on cancer that you might be interested in:
- IV Vitamin Therapy
- How Does Vitamin C Help with Cancer?
- Roasted Salad Towers Recipe
- The Power of Berries for Cancer
- The Wonders of Green Tea for Cancer Prevention
- National Colon Cancer Month
- Are Red Heads Really at an Increased Risk for Developing Melanoma?
- Will Melatonin Actually Help You Sleep?
#drmoirakwokND #breastcancer #breastcancerawareness #cancersucks #fuckcancer #cancersurvivor #breastcancersurvivor #mastectomy #chemotherapy #brca #pinkribbon #thinkpink #her #breastcancerwarrior #cancerwarrior #pink