Another often used cookbook in my house is Angela Liddon’s Oh She Glows. This is a favourite recipe of mine when I have my girlfriends over for a chat and some sangrias on the weekend.
Why are strawberries good for you?
This little fruit packs a punch when it comes to nutrients because it’s jammed full of lots of fibre, vitamins and antioxidants. It’s also great because it’s very low in calories AND delicious to eat.
One little known fact about strawberries is that 8 strawberries provides you with more vitamin C than an orange! The citrus fruits and known for their high vitamin C content but who knew that the little strawberry could have them beat?
Health benefits of strawberries
- Regulates blood sugar
- Immune boosting
- Lowers blood pressure due to its high potassium content
- Lowers bad cholesterol (LDL)
- Decreases risk for heart attacks to due its anthocyanin and potassium content
- Reduces risk of atherosclerosis due to its quercetin content
- Regulates bowel movements because of its high water and fibre content
Allergies to strawberries is actually more common than you might think! People who are more sensitive to apples or birch pollens are more prone to sensitivities or allergies to strawberries as well.
Here’s the Recipe!
- 2 medium avocadoes, pitted & roughly chopped
- 125 mL or ½ cup red onion, rinely chopped
- 1 fresh mango, pitted peeled & finely chopped to approximately 375 mL or 1½ cups
- 375 mL or 1½ cups hulled strawberries, finely chopped
- 60 mL or ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped (optional)
- 15-30 mL or 1-2 tbsp fresh lime juice, to taste
- sea salt, to taste
- corn chips, for serving
- In a medium bowl, gently mash the avocadoes, making sure to leave some chunks for texture
- Rinse and drain the chopped onion. This makes the taste of the onions more pleasant.
- Fold the mango, strawberries, onions and cilantro into the avocadoes
- Season with lime juice and salt, to taste
- Serve immediately using your favourite corn chips
note: you can pre-make all of this with the exception of the avocadoes. Just gently fold in the avocadoes just before serving and it’s as good as made fresh!
If you’d like to discuss how I can help you reach your health goals, CONTACT ME HERE to set up a complimentary 15 min discovery call/meeting and we can get started.
What’s a discovery call/meeting? It’s where we get to know each other better to ensure that I’m the right practitioner for you and that you have the opportunity to ask your questions about Naturopathic Medicine before we move forward with an initial Naturopathic consultation.
Here are a few more posts on healthy recipes that you might also be interested in:
- Pomegranate Quinoa Salad
- Roasted Salad Towers
- Pineapple Ginger Smoothie
- What’s So Great About Kale?
- Almond Milk
- Chocolate Avocado Matcha Popsicles
- Blueberry Spelt Pancakes
Liddon A. 2014. Oh She Glows. Penguin Canada Books Inc: Toronto ON.
#drmoirakwokND #cleaneating #delicious #healthyeating #healthyfood #healthylifestyle #healthyrecipes #homecooking #homemade #homecheflife #nutrition #yummy #avocado #avocadolover #sidedish #glutenfree #nutfree #sugarfree #grainfree