Roasted Lemon Asparagus with Pecans Recipe
One of my favourite new recipe books that I picked up on a whim is Joy McCarthy’s Joyous Health. It has SO many great healthy and delicious recipes to choose from.
Here’s one that my husband and I tried one night as a side dish and it’ll definitely stay on our menu rotation from now on. Let me know what you think!
Why should you eat asparagus?
Asparagus is a low-calorie food that also contains lots of macro and micronutrients.
It is high in insoluble fibre, which helps to regular your bowel movements. It also contains inulin, which is a prebiotic fibre that is a good food source for bacteria that live in your digestive system. This helps to improve nutrient absorption, strengthens the immune system and lowers the risk for colon cancer.
As an aside, it also contains lots of folate, which is important for any woman who is thinking of or trying to get pregnant and for pregnant women as well.
Health benefits of asparagus
- Lowers blood pressure
- Supports a healthy pregnancy with its high folate content
- Help with weight loss
- And interestingly, it can help to ease hangovers and is protective of the liver against alcohol
Here’s the Recipe!
- 450 g or 1 lb asparagus with thicker spears
- 30 mL or 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar OR juice of 1 lemon
- 15-30 mL or 1-2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 pinches of sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 125 mL or ½ cup of chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 180℃ or 350 ℉
- Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus and discard note: you can also dice up the tougher ends and mix it into your dog’s food!
- Place the asparagus in a large baking dish or on a baking sheet
- Sprinkle with balsamic or lemon juice and grapeseed oil.
- Roll the asparagus around to coat them well
- Season with sea salt and pepper
- Roast for 18-20 minutes or until it’s tender when you poke it with a fork.
- Transfer the asparagus to a plate and sprinkle with the chopped pecans
If you’d like to discuss how I can help you reach your health goals, CONTACT ME HERE to set up a complimentary 15 min discovery call/meeting and we can get started.
What’s a discovery call/meeting? It’s where we get to know each other better to ensure that I’m the right practitioner for you and that you have the opportunity to ask your questions about Naturopathic Medicine before we move forward with an initial Naturopathic consultation.
Here are a few more posts on healthy recipes that you might also be interested in:
- Healthy Brownies
- Baby Bok Choy with Sesame & Ginger
- Cauliflower & Broccoli Bake with Toasted Almonds
- What’s So Great About Kale?
- Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies
- Almond Milk
- Blueberry Spelt Pancakes
- Sweet Potato Pecan Bake
McCarthy J. 2014. Joyous Health: Eat and Live Well Without Dieting. Penguin Canada: Toronto ON.
#drmoirakwokND #cleaneating #delicious #healthyeating #healthyfood #healthylifestyle #healthyrecipes #homecooking #homemade #homecheflife #nutrition #yummy #asparagus #sidedish