Blueberry Spelt Pancakes Recipe
I have a few “favourite” cookbooks that seem to stay permanently off the bookshelf, and one of them is Joy McCarthy’s Joyous Health.
I’m also 30 weeks pregnant this week, and I’ve been having MAJOR cravings for pancakes. So here is a great healthy spin on pancakes from Joy’s book that I’ve been indulging in on weekends. Let me know what you think!
What’s so great about blueberries?
Not only are blueberries super yummy, they’re a great low-calorie snack and incredibly nutrient dense. They also provide TONS of antioxidants, which help to mop up free radicals that damage your cells.
Health benefits of blueberries
- Improve cognitive function
- Delay mental decline with age
- Protection against age-related macular degeneration
- Improve insulin sensitivity in diabetics
- Lower blood pressure
- Lower bad cholesterol (LDL)
- Lower risk of heart disease
- Improve muscle recovery time after strenuous exercise
The Take-Away Message
Blueberries have a lot of research to back up its health benefits. They taste great whole, as a smoothie, in pancakes, in baked goods — they just taste great all around! So why not incorporate these nutrient packed little fruits into your diet regularly?!?
Here’s the Recipe!
- 250 mL or 1 cup spelt flour
- 125 mL or ½ cup oat bran
- 5 mL or 1 tsp baking powder
- 500 mL or 2 cups almond milk
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 5 mL or 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 250 mL or 1 cup fresh/frozen wild blueberries
- 30 mL or 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 60 mL or ¼ cup coconut butter
- In a large bowl, stir together the spelt flour, oat bran and baking powder
- Add milk, eggs and vanilla. Stir until the batter is well combined.
- Fold in the blueberries note: if using frozen blueberries, make sure to thaw and drain away the excess water
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and melt the coconut oil
- Pour 60 mL or ¼ cup of the batter into the pan for each pancake
- Cook for a few minutes until bubbles form on the top and the sides are turning golden
- Flip and cook for a few more minutes until it’s cooked through note: you can check with a toothpick
- Serve with a dollop of coconut butter that will melt and make your pancake super yummy!
If you’d like to discuss how I can help you work towards your health goals, CONTACT ME HERE to set up a complimentary 15 min discovery call/meeting and we can get started.
What’s a discovery call/meeting? It’s where we get to know each other better to ensure that I’m the right practitioner for you and that you have the opportunity to ask your questions about Naturopathic Medicine before we move forward with an initial Naturopathic consultation.
Here are a few more posts on healthy recipes that you might also be interested in:
- Healthy Brownies
- Pineapple Ginger Smoothie
- Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies
- Almond Milk
- Roasted Lemon Asparagus with Pecans Recipe
- Strawberry Mango Guacamole
- Chia Pudding
- Sweet Potato Pecan Bake
McCarthy J. 2014. Joyous Health: Eat and Live Well Without Dieting. Penguin Canada: Toronto ON.
#drmoirakwokND #cleaneating #delicious #healthyeating #healthyfood #healthylifestyle #healthyrecipes #nutrition #yummy #blueberries #breakfast #brunch #homemade #healthybreakfast #healthybrunch #superfood #superfruit #goodmorning